Saturday, June 4, 2011

Cole had a much better day yesterday. He’s back to his old self again. They have him down to room air with a bit of a kick to make sure he remembers to breathe when he’s sleeping. All his blood levels are looking good. He had an awesome nurse yesterday that treated him like her own child. Nutrition was saying they’d have to put a feeding tube in if he didn’t start taking in 60 MLs per feeding by Sunday. Our nurse thought that was absolutely ridiculous [as did we] since he is only three days old. One of those days he was NPO, he just had a cath done, and they weren’t really feeding him on a regular basis since he was born. Today {Friday} was the first time he actually was fed every three hours or so and he was pounding em back like nobodies business.  The first time she fed him he wasn’t swallowing all that well so, she called  to have "Speech" come up and see what they thought about it. She thought getting them involved is way better than letting them put a feeding tube in. No feeding tube for Cole.
We were able to go and take our CPR class. You know how they changed CPR,  to CAB now instead of ABC? The reason they switched it is because people take a minute to think about doing mouth to mouth on a stranger. The scientifically proven method of remembering how fast to do your reps, is to sing “Stayin’ Alive” by the BeeGees in your head. The fun things you learn in a hospital.

Cole got his first bath by mommy, too. He loved most of it. Until he realized, “Hey, wait a minute. I’m supposed to get food when I’m awake!”
The GI team came in and took a look at Cole. They ordered up an abdominal ultrasound to see if they can see anything that might elude to AGS. He might have had it done after we left or he’ll get it sometime today. After that I think they are going to transfer him to the step down unit for the rest of his testing{hearing and eye sight} and then hopefully we can get home early next week.  Our cardiologist is in charge of the step down unit next week so, she will get us out of there quick. Both our cardiologist and GI doctor have been stopping by daily to see how we’re doing.  I don’t know how or if they do treat all their patients like us but, we are very blessed to have them in our lives.
Cole’s surgery was put into the scheduling books for 6-8 weeks from now.  We want to get it done sooner rather than later just in case any liver or kidney things show up.

1 comment: